Sunday, December 11, 2011

From their own lips

We hear their refrain almost daily - the wealthy deserve their riches because they create employment for others, but it is really the market which ultimately determines the demand for workers, not any one individual or even enterprise.

"I’m a very rich person. As an entrepreneur and venture capitalist, I’ve started or helped get off the ground dozens of companies in industries including manufacturing, retail, medical services, the Internet and software. I founded the Internet media company aQuantive Inc., which was acquired by Microsoft Corp. in 2007 for $6.4 billion. I was also the first non-family investor in Amazon.com Inc. Even so, I’ve never been a “job creator.” I can start a business based on a great idea, and initially hire dozens or hundreds of people. But if no one can afford to buy what I have to sell, my business will soon fail and all those jobs will evaporate. That’s why I can say with confidence that rich people don’t create jobs... "
Nick Hanhauer

From here

No comments: